Has Your Business Been Affected By Flooding?

With the wet weather as it has been over the last week or so The Insurance Octopus has put together some hints and tips to help you if you have been affected by the recent flooding.

If your home, business premises and contents have been damaged in a flood, here is what you may need to do:

1. Contact your insurer as soon as possible.  Most insurers do have a 24 hour help line for emergencies.  The emergency lines will guide you with what you need to do next and how to arrange for repairs and making your home or business premises safe.
2. If necessary, arrange for temporary repairs.  To stop any further damage, arrange for temporary repairs as this can prevent the damage getting any worse. Tell your insurer this is what you are doing and keep all receipts for your claim process.
3. Do not throw away your damaged items.  Do not be hasty to throw away damaged or wet items unless they are a danger to health as they may be able to be repaired or restored once they are dry again.  Your insurer will advise you what to do in that situation.

Have you had to leave your business because of the flooding?

If you have had to leave your business premises or you are going to have to leave your business premises here are some things worth considering:

1. Consider which valuables and other essential items you should take with you.
2. Lock all doors and windows if you are able to – unfortunately, thieves can often take advantage of these situations.
3. Inform your clients and other business contacts of what you are doing and where you can be contacted.
4. Take emergency contact details with you, including mobile phone numbers and email addresses if possible.  You will need to give these details to your insurer so they can keep in contact with you.
5. Only return to your business premises after it has been flooded when it is safe to do so.

It’s important to make sure that your business insurance is fully up to date – whether it’s  landlords insurance, shop insurance, pub insurance or restaurant insurance you have, you need to make sure that it’s comprehensive to cover your needs.


Making a Claim

Should you need to make a claim, ensure you get in touch with your insurer or broker as soon as possible to inform them of the situation and get guidance on what to do next.  By declaring your details as soon as possible you’ll enable your claim to be dealt with quickly – remember, some policies will require more information than others will so gather as much information and as many details as you can. For example, did you need to report the incident to the police to get a crime number to support your insurance claim? These little things are what help to make the process of a claim smoother.

If you are a residential landlord property owner, or a commercial building or shop owner, it may be worth checking the emergency cover you have within your insurance policy. This would help make your property safe should something happen and stop any further damage or risk. Such emergency cover is sometimes included as standard in your business insurance but you would need to check your policy documents. However, if this is not included you will have to purchase this separately.  It can be an inexpensive inclusion onto your business insurance and could save a huge amount of time, hassle and worry – for both you and your tenants.

If you’d like help and support in building a comprehensive insurance package which contains all of the cover you need, get in touch with the dedicated team here at The Insurance Octopus today.