All domestic and commercial buildings within the UK whether they are available to buy or rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).  The certificates are for properties based within England, Wales and Northern Ireland and once they have been produced they are valid for 10 years.

If you own a property, or a landlord of property, getting an energy performance survey completed could help you identify ways to save costs on your energy bills.

So, what is an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate look similar to a multi coloured stickers that are now shown on all new appliances.  EPC’s can tell you as landlord/property owner how efficient your building is and give it a rating from A which is very efficient to G which is classed as in-efficient.  The person or persons then having use of building  will  then have an idea of how costly it will be to heat and light and what its Carbon Dioxide emissions are estimated to be.

The EPC will advise what the energy efficiency rating could be if improvements were made to the building.  The certificate highlights the cost effective ways to achieve a better rating.  Therefore, should your building be used as a rental property you as the landlord could advise that there may be ways to take advantage of some of the items for improvements. For example switching to more energy efficient light bulbs or supplier of electricity and gas.

Why do we need to get an EPC?

If you decide to sell or rent your domestic or commercial building you need to get an approved Domestic Energy Assessor to produce an EPC.  The EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as your property is marketed for sale or rent.

If you are a home-owner, commercial property owner or a landlord the process of getting an EPC produced can help you see ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home or commercial building.  The certificates are valid for 10 years so the cerficate can be used within this 10 year period.  Remember if you do make a substantial amount of improvements to your home you would need to obtain a new EPC before you market your property.  This will then show the newly revised energy efficiency rating.

EPCs and Feed-in Tariffs

From 1 April 2012, customers in England, Wales and Scotland wishing to get payments under the government’s Feed-in Tariff (FIT) for solar PV will need to be able to prove that their home has an EPC rating of band D or above to receive FITs at the standard rate. You will therefore need to be able to produce your existing EPC (as long as it is less than ten years old) or obtain a new one.

Who can produce Energy Reports and EPCs?

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, only accredited Domestic Energy Assessors can produce valid EPCs.

If you are selling or renting your home through an estate agent, they may be able to arrange the EPC for you.

For more information on EPCs in England and Wales, please visit the Directgov website.

Does your home or commercial building have an EPC?  Are you in the process of obtaining an EPC?