Contractors Insurance FAQs

Gold Trusted Service Award - Feefo 2019
Gold Trusted Service Award - Feefo 2020
Platinum - Trusted Service Award - Feefo 2021

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Our most asked questions

  • Is contractor insurance a legal requirement?

    No, the only type of insurance that is legally required of a contractor is employer’s liability insurance. However, it is advisable that you take out contractor insurance to cover you in the event that some unforeseen incident or accident takes place. When the unexpected happens and you don’t have the right insurance cover, you could find yourself severely out of pocket.

  • Do I also need professional indemnity insurance?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers you in the event that your advice or instructions are directly responsible for harm or damage to people or property. If you, as a contractor, ever give advice to clients about what work they should have done, or what they should do to maintain things, it would be wise for you to take out professional indemnity cover in case your advice leads to unforeseen problems.

  • What level of cover do contractors need?

    The only insurance type that is a legal requirement for contractors is employer’s liability insurance. After this, the level of cover a contractor takes out is entirely up to them. In any trade, there is a substantial risk of injury or damage to property, so it is highly advisable to take out cover against these risks. The level of cover you take out is your decision, which should be informed by an assessment of the risks your business faces and the extent of the costs which these risks could incur.

Business Insurance Blog For all the things business & insurance