What Is Tradesman Insurance?
Tradesmen are the backbone of the economy – they keep the country running, provide us with invaluable service, and are there whenever you need them, but all too often they struggle to find the right insurance policies for their business, which leaves them in tough situations. With our bespoke tradesman insurance packages, we’re able to provide tailored cover for over 900 different types of trade, enabling us to give your business the coverage it needs whenever it needs it. From trips and slips to serious damages such as falling from a height, you need to be covered for everything that might be thrown your way, so don’t hesitate and get yourself a comprehensive tradesman insurance plan today!
If you want expert advice and a bespoke insurance policy, get in touch with our team here at The Insurance Octopus – we have agents who are specialists in a range of different industries and trades, so you know you’re dealing with people who understand your needs and the dangers you face. You can fill out our online insurance form to get your insurance application started immediately, or alternatively, you can request a call back from our team who will be able to guide you through the process over the phone – the choice is yours!
What’s included in a Business Insurance package?
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Mistakes happen and are sometimes unavoidable, but either way, it’s important that you’re covered against the damages that you could face as a result. PI insurance will cover you and your business against financial loss caused as a result of bad advice or a mistake in your work.
Tradesman Tools Insurance
Without the right tools, it’s impossible for a tradesman to complete his work to the best of his ability, so it’s a real kick in the teeth when those tools are lost, damaged, or stolen. Protecting your tools with equipment insurance means that your livelihood is protected from thieves and vandals.
Contracts Work Cover
Contractors often find themselves in something of a grey area when it comes to insurance when working on projects, but with The Insurance Octopus’ tradesman insurance policies, they’re kept covered whilst they work. This limits the losses for both the contractor and the employer.
Personal Accident Cover
Should tragedy ever strike in the workplace and an employee is severely injured or dies in an accident, the damages that this could lead to will be crippling for both the employee and the employer. With Personal Accident cover, everyone is protected in these scenarios.
What Hazards Do Tradesmen Face?
According to Alcumus, on average 1 in every 3 construction workers are electrocuted each year during refurbishment work on commercial and domestic buildings, and this extends to tradesmen who work near overhead power lines and cables. There is also a growing number of plumbers, joiners and decorators who carry out electrical work as part of their projects, but face electrocution due to not being qualified or understanding the dangers of working with electricity. Along with power tool malfunctions that cause burns, psychological damage and sometimes, even death, electricity is not an element to take lightly.
Slips, Trips, & Falls
With the diverse range of activities that go on during your working day, the likelihood of both your clients and team members slipping, tripping and falling is extremely high. Whether it’s caused by liquid spills, hazardous chemicals, insufficiently stored stock, materials and equipment or even scaffolding and holes in the ground, these hazards can cause pain, injuries and even hospitalisation, which will require compensation on your part.
Working At Height
Improper precautions when it comes to working at height could lead to unnecessary risks including a higher rate of fatalities. Even from low heights of a metre, broken bones, loss of consciousness and objects falling from above can leave you and your employees out of action for quite some time. Along with deterioration of the structure itself and uneven edges and structures at varying heights, there’s a lot of opportunity to severely hurt yourself up there.
If you work regularly with hand-held or hand-guided power tools such as concrete breakers, sanders, disc cutters and chainsaws, then you risk damage to your nerves, blood vessels and joints in the hands, wrists and arms, not to mention loss of fingers. This type of life-changing injury may stop you continuing your trade, and therefore you should always try to be as careful as possible. Taking note of safety instructions, disconnecting tools when not in use and maintaining your tools with care is always a good start, as is wearing appropriate clothing.
Working as a tradesman often means working outdoors, making weather conditions an important factor in your work environment. High winds and gusts can be unpredictable, taking you off guard and blowing your tools around. Slippery surfaces because of rain can lead to slips, trips and falls, especially if you’re not wearing the right footwear. Hot weather can also lead to heat stroke, heat exhaustion and heat rash. Nature can truly take its toll.
Especially significant for builders and contractors, moving plant and machinery can be a dangerous health and safety hazard, causing injuries including: body parts can get trapped between rollers, belts and pulley drives; sharp edges can cause cuts, severing injuries, stabbing and puncturing of the skin, as well as friction and abrasion; people can be crushed between moving parts, between a fixed part of a machine and wall, and even between two parts moving past each-other, causing shearing. Having an impact on both physical and mental health, they can all truly take their toll.
Why You Need Tradesman Insurance
Our Tradesman Insurance can protect you from loss and damage to your tools and materials, as well as that done to plant and machinery owned and hired in by you. Along with covering claims brought against you by clients due to accidental harm and damage caused to them and their belongings, it can be an expensive endeavour, and one that could cause the ruin of your business if not handled correctly. Having appropriate Tradesman Insurance is therefore paramount to future success, and not letting the events of the past effect it.
You Should Choose Tradesman Insurance From The Insurance Octopus Because:
- We cover a variety of trades, and necessary equipment, including but not limited to: diggers, mini diggers, cherry pickers, concrete mixers, cranes, dozers, dumpers, excavators, mini excavators, forklifts, generators and loading shovels.
- You have peace of mind knowing any unexpected event won’t impact your capacity to work for long, as compensation will be sought as swiftly as possible.
- It shows a duty of care to your customers, clients, staff and members of the public, as well as covering your medical expenses should you suffer an accident (dependent on cover).
- If you ever need to update your policy, need help making a claim or need some guidance on a new endeavour that requires insurance, our team are always on hand to help, and are always happy to do so.
Choosing The Insurance Octopus ensures the needs of your team, your business and your clients are always taken care of. To discover how else we can meet your needs, please get in touch to discuss yours, and to create your bespoke tradesman insurance quote today.
The Trades We Cover
From bricklayers and builders through to plumbers and window cleaners, we cover over 900 trades here at The Insurance Octopus, and are therefore best placed to meet all of your insurance-based needs. We’ve helped window cleaners with tradesman public liability insurance cases, kitchen fitters with personal accident insurance claims and electricians with loss of materials and tools, so you can trust that we’ve seen it all, and can help you navigate the intricacies of any claim or lawsuit.
The trades we cover include, but are not limited to:
We have built up strong relationships with a wide range of top-rated UK insurers, ensuring we can always negotiate prices and policies on your behalf. Our experience within the insurance market guides these discussions, ensuring you receive the correct policy for you and your business. Whether you’re a builder, plumber, painter or kitchen fitter, we can find the right policy for you.
Our highly-reputable team has over 50 years’ of experience between them, and can provide expert guidance and support when it comes to finding the right cover for you. We know not all decorators need product liability insurance. We know not all plumbers need to cover materials because some buy them as and when needed. We know that what you need is an insurance policy you can trust, and that’s exactly what you get when you take out a policy with The Insurance Octopus.
In a single policy, our Tradesman Insurance could cover a variety of the following:
Public Liability Insurance
Tradesman Public Liability Insurance covers you if you accidentally injure a member of the public, or damage their property. This could happen through various means; a client trips over a toolbox; someone gets hurt during a renovation; you accidentally damage a property’s existing fixtures and fittings; you destroy their property due to a malfunctioning tool. If a claim is made against you, tradesman public liability insurance will cover the legal and compensation costs you are required to pay, and we can provide cover as standard from £1 to £5 million, with higher limits available upon request.
Product Liability Insurance
Product Liability Insurance covers you should a product you have sold, supplied or installed causes unexpected personal injury or personal damage. If you own a catering business for example, a foreign object could be accidentally cooked in the food you’ve sold, causing a customer to choke or require medical assistance should they be allergic. If you’re a plumber, you could face a lawsuit if the pipe you claimed to have fixed causes flooding. Whatever the circumstance, you could be deemed legally responsible if you or your business repaired or altered the product, or if your business’s name is on the product. Product Liability Insurance covers you against these lawsuits and pays out compensation up to the limit on your policy.
You may be as careful as they come, and follow every safety precaution, but all it takes is a few loose bricks, a faulty wire or piece of equipment for an employee to become seriously hurt. Your employees help to make your business the success it is, and therefore deserve to be compensated should they suffer an injury. It is a legal requirement for you to have at least £5 million cover to compensate your staff for any bodily injury, mental injury or other claims made against you, even if they are part-time employees. Our Employers’ Liability for tradesman comes with £10 million standard indemnity cover, so you know that you’re protected.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Professional Indemnity Insurance covers the legal costs and damages you may be required to pay out if a client takes legal action against you, due to an error you have made. Whether you’ve given bad advice or created a poor design, Professional Indemnity Insurance covers you against this, as well as professional negligence and loss of confidential data. The smallest mistake can leave you open to the largest of claims, so it’s never worth taking the risk.
Tools and Business Equipment Insurance
Tools and Business Equipment Insurance protects you against any theft and damage, so that should the unexpected happen, you won’t lose money paying for replacements. Theft and damage can delay projects or mean you can’t complete jobs to the highest of standards, or worse still, stop you doing your work until you can afford new tools. If your tools and equipment have been taken after a break-in, from your van, or even been damaged on the job, Tools and Business Equipment Insurance can cover the replacement costs and help you to get back to work as soon as possible.
Personal Accident Insurance
Your safety is important to us, and therefore, it should be important to you too. Personal Accident Insurance provides compensation for accidents that include:
- Loss of limbs or sight.
- Permanent total disablement.
- Temporary total disablement.
- Temporary partial disablement.
We can help cover the cost of medical expenses, making the road to recovery as comfortable as possible. Covering you financially, you’ll receive either a lump sum or weekly benefit. Your trade doesn’t have to suffer, and neither do you.
Stock & Materials
Every carpenter, cleaner and contractor is different, but many rely on their cleaning supplies, timber, wood, joists and rafters, among other stock and materials, to carry out their work. Ingredients, plants and paints are just as important to caterers, gardeners and painters and decorators, as are wires, connectors and power supplies to electricians. Imagine how difficult your job would be without the stock and materials that make your projects successful, and how stressful it would be should they be stolen, damaged. Whether you’re looking to protect your stock or take out cover for your all-important materials, we can ensure that they are always kept safe, and provide compensation for any losses.
Loss of Money
You work hard for your money, so it can be pretty hard-going when it goes missing, or is stolen via unexpected, forceful or even violent means. To us, it doesn’t matter if you lose £200 or £2000, we’ll work tirelessly to give you your money back, so that business operations can continue as normal. Loss of Money covers you against these losses to maintain your financial stability, and ensure you’re never left out of pocket.
We can provide cover for: money stolen during business hours; money stolen while in a bank night safe; money stolen while locked in a safe; money stolen while not in a locked safe while closed; and money stolen while in transit.
Legal Expenses Insurance ensures that you are financially covered should legal action be taken against you, or by you. Covering everything from legal and tax advice through to contract and debt recovery, Legal Expenses Insurance also covers costs incurred due to court dates, trials and representation. With employment tribunals also costing in the thousands, our insurance means your business never has to suffer due to costly cases.
If you operate from a premises such as a yard or unit where you complete some of your work you may want to consider business interruption insurance. Designed to cover your business against any loss of income, Business Interruption Insurance can pay out for loss of gross profit, as well as for the costs and expenses incurred to reduce the impact on your gross profit, subject to your insurers specific terms and conditions. Our policies typically covers:
- Profit: Any profits that would have been earned during the time you aren’t operational.
- Disruption: Any power, telecommunications and water disruption costs caused by service providers.
- Fixed costs: Any ongoing and continuous operating costs that you incur even though the business is not operating, which is based upon historical cost reports.
- Temporary location: The expenses you may suffer due to having to relocate or operate from a temporary location.
- Some additional expenses: With the reimbursement of ‘reasonable expenses’ that enable the business to continue its operations whilst the property is being repaired.
Own Plant & Hired In Plant
Own Plant Insurance provides compensation for any damage done to own plant, and cover is provided up to the sum insured shown in the quotation or schedule. We will pay the reinstatement value for damaged contractors’ plant that is up to one year old, otherwise we will pay the market value or the cost of repair. This cover also includes the hiring out of any insured plant.
Hired In Plant Insurance protects you against the legal liability for any damage done to hired in plant and any continuing hire charges. Cover is provided up to the limit of liability shown in the quotation or schedule. This includes damage caused by storms, flooding, water damage and malicious damage.
Contract Works Insurance not only protects you against events that stop you from fulfilling a contract, but also covers you financially should you need to carry out works again due to unexpected damage.
This cover can include:
- The work in progress: Covers the work in progress up to the handover point when you cease to be responsible.
- The building materials being used in the project: Any materials that were used during the project, session or works.
- Any temporary buildings: Including any site huts, portable toilets, fixtures and fittings.
- Your plant, machinery, tools and equipment
Paying out compensation, Contract Works Insurance ensures you keep your pristine reputation and that your clients don’t suffer any losses due to delays or disruption as a result of an unforeseen event such as a fire of flood.
Our Process: Choosing The Right Cover For You
Finding the right insurance can be a daunting process, especially when you’ve got a lot on your plate, such as projects to complete, new clients to visit and advertisements to take care of. How can you find the time to wade through quote after quote and insurer after insurer, when there doesn’t seem like there’s much that differentiates them? That’s where we can help. Taking the time to get to know you and your business, we will guide you, discussing your needs and find a policy that will keep you safe and your business protected, so that you can focus on more important matters.
- To find your tradesman insurance quote, please click here. This useful application form asks for personal details such as your name, company’s name, telephone number and email address, as well as what your primary trade is, your annual turnover and whether you’ll require additional cover for functions such as tools, professional indemnity insurance, office equipment and hired in plant or own plant.
- After you’ve completed the application form, we’ll go through it carefully, and then arrange a call with you to learn more about your requirements, and to discuss our range of policies in detail. We’re flexible, so will work around your schedule.
- When we’ve taken you through our range of options, and you’ve chosen the policy that’s right for you, we’ll process all of the information you have provided us with, and cover will start immediately if required. You’ll receive your policy documents via email, and we can send you a physical copy should you like one.
- When it comes time to renew your policy, we’ll contact you again via email and letter 1 month before your policy is set to end. If you would like to change or update your policy, please let us know and we’ll organise this for you before the renewal period begins.
Choosing your insurance policy doesn’t have to be a long-winded and frustrating process. We make it as easy as it can be, so if you’re a builder, carpenter, cleaner or electrician looking for Tradesman Insurance, and an insurance broker that can provide you with competitive quotes, then please contact us for your free no-obligation quote today.
How To Make A Claim
When you need to make a claim, we know you need a supportive ear, and an insurance broker who can help with any queries and concerns you may have. No-one wants to have to claim, but when you do, we ensure a seamless process from start to end. Whether you’re claiming for loss of money, personal accident insurance, business interruption or product liability, we’re there to guide you through the process and make things as stress-free as possible.
Should you ever need to make a claim, please follow this process:
- Report the event to your insurer using the claims number provided, taking note of key dates, times, important facts and information on what has happened. If something serious has happened, such as theft or malicious damage, please contact the police at once.
- Then, check your insurance policy and ensure that you’re covered for what has happened.
- When detailing the situation with your insurer, ensure you have your policy document, receipts for anything stolen or damaged and any information that you feel will help explain your case, and speed up the whole process.
- Should your claim be unsuccessful, or if you run into any issues, we encourage you to call our team on 0161 968 2030 to discuss the matter further. Without judgement, we’ll listen to your case and try our best to rectify any issues. Please note however, that we can’t make any promises about any decisions made.
- Your insurer will then process the claim swiftly and efficiently, and you’ll receive your compensation within a couple of days of your claim being settled.
The Benefits Of Tradesman Insurance
Tradesman Insurance from The Insurance Octopus is there to cover your business from risks such as public, product and employers’ liability, as well as provide personal accident insurance and protection for your tools and equipment. Especially, if tools, equipment and machinery are key to your operations, Tradesman Insurance ensures that the effect of losses on your business processes and practices is minimal and that you can get back to work in no time at all. Having the right Tradesman Insurance in place protects you, your team and your company from costly cases and the associated stress. Choosing an insurance policy from The Insurance Octopus also provides you with access to a leading panel of insurers that will help you to find and select the right level of protection. You shouldn’t have to pay for cover you don’t need, and with The Insurance Octopus, you don’t have to.
The Insurance Octopus can help everyone from bricklayers, builders, carpenters and cleaners through to contractors, electricians, gardeners and decorators with all of their insurance-based needs, and are dedicated to providing a solution that covers their business, and its functions, completely.
Why Choose The Insurance Octopus
- We have been awarded the Feefo Gold trusted service 6 consecutive years in a row, highlighting our dedication to our clients, our team and the insurance industry as a whole.
- Our personalised tradesman insurance policies are designed for ease of additions, removals, increases or decreases. We can create a Tradesman Insurance policy that comprises the cover you need, without the unnecessary costs.
- Because we’re an independent commercial insurance broker, we’re not just limited to just one direct insurer or underwriter. We have a panel of over 25 UK insurance partners that we work closely with, ensuring that we can provide our customers with the best possible tradesman insurance quotes, based on their needs.
- We offer flexible payment methods, and there are never any mid term adjustment fees or hidden fees within your policy. We’re transparent in our approach, and honest with you from the start. We ensure you know exactly what you are paying for, and how much you’re paying for your insurance.
- Should you ever need to make a claim, we know the last thing you need is a seemingly never-ending process that just creates unnecessary stress. Therefore, we use insurers that make the claims process as simple as possible, so that any damage done, injury or theft is resolved in a quick and efficient manner.
Don’t be tricked by your trade. Secure the future of your business with a Tradesman Insurance policy from The Insurance Octopus. Get your quote today.
Examples of Tradesman Insurance in action
A £2,000,000 Career-Ending Accident
While working up high on scaffolding for his building firm, an employee was unfortunate enough to find himself walking on a section of the scaffolding that was defective. The result was a long fall, and a spinal injury that was so severe the man was confined permanently to a wheelchair and unable to work ever again. The incident was ruled to be preventable, and a compensation payout had to be made through his employer’s liability insurance. That claim ended up costing more than £2,000,000, emphasising the need for a firm to have employer’s liability insurance in place.
A Tradesman's Insurance Lifeline
A building contractor was working on a site when he suffered a freak accident that resulted in him ultimately having to have his lower arm amputated. This injury prevented him from working and ultimately meant he was incapable of ever returning to building work as a career. Fortunately, he had personal accident and sickness insurance in place, which provided him with a lump sum payout that he used to fund his day-to-day life while undergoing training to enter a new line of work. Without the insurance, he would have found himself in a very difficult situation, even if he had been able to return after completing the recovery process.
Ways To Attract New Clientele
We know that many tradesmen rely on word of mouth marketing as a source of business, but wholly relying on this does limit your opportunities, especially in terms of new clientele. Gone are the days when handing out your business card or putting an ad in the local newspaper is enough to sustain continuous and future success, as your customers turn to the web for answers to their needs. If you’ve been looking for some guidance yourself on great marketing tactics, then we’re happy to provide them.
- Online marketplaces and directories: Allow potential customers to discover what you do, and let existing customers review the work you’ve done. Examples of tradesmen directories include Qualitytradesmen.co.uk, TrustATrader and Elite Trades.
- Review Websites: A great reputation booster, appearing on websites such as Checkatrade, Rated People and MyBuilder. Here your clients have an opportunity to leave testimonials and reviews, and show the world how highly they recommend you.
- Social Media Profiles and Presence: A great place to showcase before & after images of your work, post photos of current projects, spark conversation about updates in your industry and post ads that can be targeted toward those looking for your services. Using suitable hashtags, such as #localtradesman, #builder, #designer, #cleaner and #contractor can also help people engage with your content too.
- Using Google My Business: This integrates features such as contact details, operating hours, reviews, maps and links to your online profiles to help potential customers find you when searching for your business.
- A Website: According to extensive research conducted by Axa, 22% of people are suspicious of a tradesperson who doesn’t have a website or social media profile – rising to 31% among 25-34 year olds, a key demographic. Websites offer much opportunity for promote yourself and your services, for example through:
- A homepage that explains who you are, where you work, your qualifications and who you can help.
- A services page that details what you do, with images and testimonials that highlight your expertise.
- A case study page that discusses recent projects and the success of them.
- A contact us page that provides multiple ways for potential clients to get in touch with you and (if applicable), a map and directions to your business premises.
With these tips and tricks of the marketing trade, you’ll be bringing in new clients in no time at all.
Tradesman Insurance FAQs
What height can you cover me for?
Our insurance can cover a range of heights, and we will tailor make insurance plans to suit your company and its needs. Whether you’re working on a commercial skyscraper or a terraced house, you can be certain that we’ll find the right cover for you. The simplest way to find out whether we can cover your height is to give one of our expert agents a call today.
Do window cleaners need public liability cover?
Public liability cover is not legally required, but is necessary for window cleaners to ensure that your staff, business, clients and the public are protected from harm. Window cleaners tend to work in locations that may have high footfall, or are likely to have direct contact with the general public. Because of this, public liability cover is ideal to have as it will ensure that any damage caused will be financially covered.
What should you do when a customer has asked for proof of insurance?
This is most common when working with commercial clients, and a proof of insurance can help you secure a new client or fight off competition. If a customer asks for proof of your insurance, this can simply be done by showing them your COI (certificate of insurance). You will receive this documentation with all our insurance policies.
Can I include other trades with my cover?
If your company covers a number of areas within the construction industry, we can create tailor-made insurance plans that cover every trade in your field. We have plenty of add-ons and alternate insurance options to help give companies the fullest protection possible. If you decide that you would like more than tree surgeon insurance, make sure to give one of our highly qualified agents a call today, and find out how we can create the best insurance plan for your business.
How high can I work and still be covered?
From 15ft to 50ft or more, you can be assured that you will be fully protected at whatever height you work at. Our tree surgeon insurance can be tailor-made to suit you and your business’s needs, no matter your location, project or purpose. In addition to insurance essentials such as public liability insurance or employer liability cover, we also have a range of insurance add-ons that will give you complete protection that will suit your exact needs.
Get Tradesman Insurance off your to do list
Help protect and grow your business with tailor made Tradesman insurance from The Insurance Octopus
Insurance Know How Making business insurance easier to understand
The ultimate small business checklist to help protect against cyber threats
Cyber threats are heard about more and more in the news with many attacks affecting larger businesses. However...
The top 10 Cyber Insurance claim types
Cyber insurance claims are becoming more and more common with each passing year. As business grows more depend...
How much does cyber insurance cost?
Cyber insurance, which covers your business against the effects of a serious cyber incident, is not an “off ...
Get to grips with Under-insurance & The Insurance Act
Inadequate cover presents a great risk to businesses – help ensure your cover is more than adequate by u...
Business Insurance Blog For all the things business & insurance
5 ways to make Small Business Saturday a success
Saturday 4th December 2021 marks this year’s Small Business Saturday in t...
How To Improve Your Shop Security
As an owner of a coffee shop, florist, takeaway or newsagent, your aim is t...
7 Most Common Cyber-attacks Explained
For all the convenience the internet provides, it’s also a very dangerous...